Thursday, March 6, 2014

Floral Engagement

            When I wake up to no text from Cam on Monday morning, I begin to lose hope.  As dramatic as that sounds, I was really starting to feel as though something could develop between Cam and I.  Of course, I had to go and screw it up. 

            Despite my feelings of self-loathing, I don my favorite work pants that make my butt look fabulous yet professional and manage a perfect cat eye.  Not bad for a Monday morning. 

            When I get to the office, Abby is there before me, as usual.  I stop by her desk to discuss her weekend.  For some reason, she keeps flailing her arms around and making exaggerated hand gestures, and there is a bright pink tinge to her cheeks.  She looks slightly deranged, and just as I’m about to ask what’s wrong, I notice it. 

            “OH MY GOD,” I gasp, and grab her left hand.  “NO.”

            “YES!” She shrieks.  “I’m engaged!” 

            I zero in on her ring finger.  It’s a monster, marquise style, with a gorgeous thin band of diamonds.  White gold, perfect against her pale skin.  Just unique enough, yet just classic enough for Abby. 

            “Holy shit Abby.  This is amazing.  He did such a good job.  It’s just beautiful.”  I can’t stop staring at it. 

            No wonder Abby is beaming.  She looks like sunbeams are shining out of every pore of her skin.  “Do you want to have lunch together today?  I want to hear all about your weekend too!”

            I laugh.  “Of course, but the only thing we’re going to talk about is that massive rock and how Mark proposed.” 

            Abby shakes her head, saying she isn’t ready to be bridezilla just yet.  I’m still smiling as I walk back to my desk.  One of my good friends, engaged!  Preparing to spend her whole life with someone!  It’s unreal.  I can’t even decide what I want for lunch, and here she is, making a decision that will stick with her for the rest of forever.  The thought gives me the chills, although I’m not sure if they’re from excitement or fear.  I’m no commitment-phobe, but marriage is not in the cards for my near future. 

            I throw myself into my work that day, since Paris Fashion Week is in full swing, and of course, there is more Kendall Jenner news.  I’m already sick of bleached-blonde eyebrows and heavily-pleated pants by the time lunch rolls around.  Just as I’m about to go collect Abby, I hear my name called. 

            “Hey Ryan!”  It’s Caroline.  “You’ve got a delivery!”  Then she giggles.  Giggles.  Interesting.  I shoot up from my chair, and spot her hidden behind a vase of flowers. 

            “What?”  I practically run over to her.  “Are you sure these are for me?”

            Caroline sticks her head out from behind the flowers.  They consist of dark pink roses, thin bunches of lily of the valley, some sprigs of baby’s breath, and a few types of green leaves.  “I’m positive.  You’re the only Ryan here, and even the intern can read.” 

            “Wow,” I breathe, ignoring her sarcasm.  “This is beautiful.” 

            “And heavy,” Caroline tells me.  “Take them from me!  I’m about to collapse.”  I laugh and grab them from her.  Sure enough, my name is on the card. 

            I take the flowers back to my desk.  Abby materializes next to me as I’m admiring them.  “Ooooh, looks like someone had a good date!” she says in a singsong voice. 

            Opening the card, I see she’s right.  The note reads: “To Cinderella.  Glad I was there to help you find your shoes after midnight.”  It was signed “Cameron.” 

            “Damn, these are pretty,” Abby says.  “He must really like you.” 

            “I guess so!”  I’m probably the last person on the planet who should be getting flowers right now.  Hell, I probably should have sent some flowers Cam’s way. Honestly, and as cheesy as it sounds, I'm elated.  So what if Cam never texted me back?  These flowers are much more telling than a quick message.  Perhaps my little escapade has been forgiven.  

            At lunch, I quickly brief Abby about my weekend.  She laughs hysterically at my antics, and was appropriately appreciative of Cam’s kindness. 

            “I’m sure you weren’t bad at all, Ryan,” she assures me.  “He probably thought it was cute.  Or at least funny!”  She’s already eaten her salad and is eyeing the pickle that came with my sandwich. 

            “Go for it,” I say, gesturing to the pickle.  “And yeah, I guess.  I felt so stupid though.”  I shake my head.  “Anyway, enough of this.  Tell me about Mark’s proposal!” 

            We spend the rest of lunch talking about how Mark had notified Abby’s entire family and hid them in various bushes and behind trees in the conservatory downtown while he and Abby took a snowy walk.  Apparently it had just started to flurry when Mark began listing all the little things he loved about Abby.  He got down on one knee, picture perfect, and when she said yes her family jumped out to surprise her. 

            “That’s incredible,” I say.  “Ab, I’m so happy for you.”  I think back to the weekend and don’t recall seeing anything on Instagram or Facebook.  “When are you going to alert the world?”

            Abby tells me she’s been planning on saving that for another week or so.  “I want to tell the people closest to me personally,” she explains.  “Luckily, my family already knew!  But I don’t want my friends to find out through social media.”  She wrinkles her nose.  “That’s kind of tacky.”

            I completely agree.  “I’ll be on the lookout for that engagement ring closeup on Instagram, though,” I tell her.  She laughs, and we finish our lunch chatting about work. 

            The rest of the day flies by.  As usual, I’m overwhelmed with work, and by the time 6 PM rolls around I’m exhausted.  Most of the office has already left, except for my boss, who I'm 90 percent sure never sleeps.  I wrap things up by 6:30 and finally check my phone for the first time as I gather my things.  Emma texted me, asking if Cam ever responded to me.  I’m glad she did, because I had almost forgotten my flowers on my desk.  I snap a quick photo and send it to her, and then pick up the vase and walk out of the office. 

            At home, I place the flowers in my bedroom where they can get a little sunlight the next day.  Unfortunately, I don’t have the slightest hint of a green thumb, so I’m worried they’ll be dead by morning.  As that thought crosses my mind, I decide to call Cam to thank him.  Much more personal than a text. 

            The phone rings four times before he picks up.  “Hey,” he says. 

            “Hey,” I repeat.  There’s a pause.  “I just wanted to thank you for the flowers.  They’re perfect.”  Another pause.  I almost expect him to say something, but when he doesn’t, I continue.  “And thank you for being so understanding.  I was a moron this weekend.  I’m still embarrassed.” 

            Cam finally speaks.  “Ryan.” 

            “Yes?”

            “Do you want to get a sub for dinner?” he asks.

            I can’t help but laugh.  “Yes,” I say.  “Of course I do.  Do you want to eat over at my place?  Since you know where it is and all.” 

            I’m relieved when he chuckles too.  “Sure.  What’s your order?” 

            I tell him, and he promises to be there in no more than twenty minutes.  True to his word, he shows up, tuna melt in his hand, fifteen minutes later. 

            “Cam,” I say, and I don’t care if it’s embarrassing, but I go in for a hug right away.  “Thanks again.” 

            My face is still buried in his shoulder, but I can hear his smile when he says “No prob, Ry.  I’m glad you liked the flowers.” 

            We sit at my kitchen table and don’t talk about my drunken Disney performance.  I assume he’s done worse, and I don’t want to beat a dead horse.  Instead, I ask about his job, because in all reality I have no idea what he does.  Turns out he’s in sales and doing very well so far. 

            “I never knew you were so persuasive!”  I tell him with a grin.  “Well, good for you.  It’s crazy that we’re all grown up in the real world, isn’t it?”

            Cam nods as he takes a humongous bite out of his sandwich.  I take that as a cue to keep talking.  “I mean, one of my coworkers just got engaged,” I say absentmindedly.  Immediately I regret bringing it up.  What if he thinks I’m dropping a hint or pushing a relationship?  Before I can do damage control, Cam swallows his bite of food and nods. 

            “I know what you mean.  My best friend’s younger brother just got engaged.  Younger brother.  He’s like twenty-one.” 

            I shake my head.  “Crazy.  But hey, whatever works.” 

            After dinner, we end up watching some indie movie in my bed.  I know, I know, another day spent with my dear friend Netflix.  What can I say, my life is thrilling.  Not even halfway through the movie, though, Cam’s hand travels up my thigh, and before I even start to understand the convoluted plot, we’re kissing. 

            It feels so good to kiss him, too—no alcohol, no stress, no worries about our “relationship” or where it’s going.  The last time we hooked up was awkward and embarrassing afterwards, but now everything seems romantic somehow, despite my messy room and the glow of my laptop screen in the background. 

            When I take Cam’s shirt off, I accidentally knock said laptop to the floor.  Not my smoothest moment, but we laugh it off and that’s when the frenzy starts.  We practically tear each other’s clothes off.  I can feel our kisses deepening, and after a few minutes I want nothing more than to pull him on top of me.  He takes it slow and makes me wait, but it’s well worth it in the end. 

            Later, as I feel myself drifting off to sleep, I whisper to Cam, “You don’t have to stay if you aren’t comfortable.  I won’t be offended.” 


            The last thing I remember before falling asleep is him whispering in my ear: “I want to be here with you.” 



**AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Hey everyone, thank you so much for your responses to my posting schedule update!  As of right now I am leaning towards Tuesday/Friday or Wednesday/Saturday but have not decided yet.  This next week will be insanely hectic for me, so I will not be able to choose a set posting schedule until the following week.  However, you can definitely expect a couple blog posts next week!  They'll just be surprises, so keep on the lookout!  Again, thank you all for reading my blog.  I really appreciate all of you!
- Alexis

12 comments:

  1. Awww...how sweet! Sounds like Cam is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet!!! I like it.. can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As sweet as that is, of Cam, to me, there is something still suspicious. A text is really non-committal and simple to respond to. It doesn't make sense that he would ignore unless he's hiding something. Just my thoughts.

    Enjoying the blog :) Good job!

    lifebyaleah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying not to put too much weight on the fact that he didn't respond to the text. Maybe it was because he was surprising her with the flowers. I love how they had their easy dinner and conversation and it flowed into the bedroom. I was smiling at the end! Keep up the good work. mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read more! Hurry up and give us some new content :) haha

    http://tragedytwentysomething.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey beautiful people! Please do us a favor and check out our blog at southernsass803.wix.com/southernsass803. It's a little different but I think you'll like it. Please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't think it is fair to make your readers wait 9+ days for another post. I've gotten to the point where I forgot what this blog is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize. The next post is on its way. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. I agree--when are you going to update? It's been a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm editing the next post right now! Thank you so much for reading.

      Delete