Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ride of My Life

I stay in the office late on Thursday, working on a Fourth of July style piece. After I've edited it and read it over for the fifth time, I publish it. For the first time in a few weeks, I feel accomplished. Like my old self. I go home ready for the long weekend but also satisfied with my work. 

Tonight I'm going on a date with Bryan. He's picking me up on his motorcycle, so I put on long jeans and a t shirt with sleeves. I know the exhaust can be scorchingly hot. 

I haven't seen Emma since I noticed her things were out of the apartment, and I'm not surprised that she isn't there now. I wish she was there so we could have a drink or two and gossip about our plans. Last year on the Fourth of July we day drank on our porch and lit box after box of sparklers. Thinking about it makes me nostalgic, especially since I'm all alone this year. 

I straighten up. No, not all alone, I tell myself. I have a date tonight. 

With a sudden flash of inspiration, I whip out a pen and a bright pink post it note. I write down that I'll be on a date, but I'll be home later and... I pause. What else should I write? I'd love to hang out tomorrow? I'll buy the sparklers? Don't move out? I sigh and draw a heart and sign my name. At least I know she'll see it. 

A few minutes later, I get a call. It's Bryan. 

"I'm just outside," he says. "Come down when you're ready!" 

I quickly tie my hair up in a ponytail and dash downstairs. I spot him immediately; he's on a bright red racing bike, wearing a riding jacket and a grin. My heartbeat speeds up and my mouth starts to water, like it always does when I'm nervous. 

Waving, Bryan beckons me over. 

"It's beautiful," I tell him, lightly touching the metal. 

"Isn't it?" He says proudly. "Hop on. I was thinking we'd go for a ride."

"I thought we were getting dinner?" 

He waves one hand. "We can grab something quick. You eat dinner every day. But you've never been on a bike ride!" 

This is true. I hoist myself on the bike. For a moment I'm hesitant to put my arms around him; we still don't know each other well, and we've barely kissed. But he grabs my hands and wraps them around his midsection. 

"The seat is pretty small, so you'll want to hold on tight," he advises. "Oh." He reaches in the saddlebags and pulls out a helmet for me. "You'll need this."

"I hope not," I say with a shaky laugh. 

Before I know it, we're off. All my anxiousness about holding onto Bryan disappears in the first few seconds. I'm terrified; the speedometer says we're only going 25 miles an hour, but I feel like I'm flying. A few bugs smack into my face, and I'm glad I brought sunglasses. 

Bryan was right--it is cramped on the seat, so I scoot a little closer to him. My legs are clamped onto the metal, and I bite down on my tongue so I don't say turn around!

But after a few minutes, the fear unclenches itself in my stomach. The wind feels cool on my cheeks, and I feel strangely powerful and free. I'm starting to get the hang of the bikes motions and turns. 

"This is fun!" I shout over the wind. 

Bryan nods. He turns his head a little. "Wanna go a little faster?"

I'm still a little nervous, but I say "sure!" 

He turns onto another road, this one less busy. There are trees on either side of the road, and it's really gorgeous. I turn my head from side to side, taking in the beauty. I've been on this street a few times before, but always in a car. I've never taken the time to really look at my surroundings. Who knew central Ohio could be so peaceful and picturesque? 

I barely register the other cars on the road. I feel like it's just Bryan, the bike, and myself. This ride was just what I needed. 

"This is incredible!" 

Bryan turns back to look at me and say something, and out of the corner of my eye I see a car passing us. Bryan is saying something, but I don't hear him. Because his head is turned, he turns the handlebars a little too. Before I know what's happening, the car in the other lane cuts us off. 

I see everything and then nothing--the front of Bryan's bike just before the car clips it, the car swerving, and suddenly I'm in the air. I feel myself land, but I don't see the bike, I don't see Bryan, I don't see the other car... And then I don't see or feel anything at all. 



I wake up and feel pain before I can see anything; the pain blinds me. It's in my spine, through my legs, and in my chest. It hurts to breathe, but I inhale as though I've been holding my breath. 

Finally my vision clears, and before I recognize that I'm in a hospital, in a hospital bed, without Bryan, I recognize the figure in the chair out of the corner of my eyes. The figure notices me awakening and suddenly a face is over me, expression full of familiar concern. 

I know who it is before my vision has fully returned to me. 

Cam. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Did not see that coming, or Cam waiting for her in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely didn't see that coming for Ryan ! && Cam was a big surprise waiting for her !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see that coming, but I hope Bryan is ok... Can't wait to see how Cam ended up there and how this turns out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh. I hope everyone is OK. Cam is there!! mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I wasn't expecting that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I celebrate my birthday at best happy hour nyc venue where we all enjoyed a lot. Everything was unique and awesome. I liked their services and loved the arrangements.

    ReplyDelete