Saturday, June 7, 2014

Dating Distractions

I dab on a little lipstick, careful to stay within the lines of my lips. Once, in an effort to make my lips appear plumper, I'd applied lipstick just slightly outside my lip line. Or so I'd thought. I ended up looking like an even puffier-lipped Angelina Jolie without the killer cheekbones, and everyone noticed. I looked more plastic surgery than glamorous. Needless to say, I've been wary of lipstick ever since. 

But this date with Bryan is the first I've gone on in a while. I'm just as nervous as I am excited. I don't exactly remember the etiquette-- is kissing on the first date okay or weird? Either way, I want to discourage him from kissing me, even if we do hit it off. I'm sure lipstick will do the trick. 

Stepping back a little, I admire myself in the full length mirror. Since it's gotten horribly hot and humid in Columbus, I'm wearing a flowy, bohemian top and cut off jean shorts. Not trying too hard, I suspect. 

I fluff my hair and grab my wristlet. Time to go. 

I purposefully leave a little late so I'm not the first one there. I don't want to look anxious, and even though I studied his picture before I got ready, I don't know if I'll recognize Bryan right away. Id rather let him seek me out. 

The coffee shop is just a short walk from my apartment, so I'm there in five minutes. I straighten my shirt before walking in, and I'm not surprised to feel a ball of nerves starting to form in my stomach. What if this date is a trainwreck?

Walking in, I only see older men, many with graying hair and bad sport coats. The ball of nerves grows and my palms start to sweat. Looking around, I wonder if I'm here before Bryan. Did my plan backfire? Or did I get stood up? 

As casually as possible, I walk to the counter to look at the menu. The clever coffee names don't faze me, and I can't help but glance around. Calm down, calm down, I tell myself over and over. 

"Ryan?" I turn, and the nerves almost completely dissolve when I recognize the face the voice belongs to. He's tall, muscular but not too built, and just as good-looking as the man in the photos. Phew. 

I smile. "That's me." I'm not sure if I should shake his hand, so I clasp the two of mine together. "Did you just get here?" 

"No." He points to a table nestled in the corner. "I'm sitting there. I saw you walk in."

"Oh." I'm still smiling, so I clear my throat. Is this awkward? Is it too soon to be awkward? Maybe my relief was too premature. "What did you get to drink?"

"Nothing," Bryan tells me. "I was waiting for you."

For some reason, the way he says it makes me blush. "Well I'm kind of a plain Jane," I say. "I just want black coffee." 

Bryan orders a cinnamon coffee-- called Cinna, Mon-- and it comes in a mug with the Jamaican flag on it. I can't help but laugh. I'm so busy admiring the cup that I don't realize Bryan has paid for my drink. 

"Oh, man, you really didn't have to do that," I say, surprised. 

He waves his hand. "No big deal. Let's go sit." 

Once we're seated, I ask Bryan how his day has been. With a little laugh and a roll of his eyes, he tells me that it was stressful. He works at a car repair place on the weekends since he's paying off--get this--his own house.

"Wow." I can't help but be impressed. And as he tells me more, I'm in awe. He's an engineer who works for Toyota, which already means he makes a lot of money. He just bought a house and a motorcycle, "which may have been over ambitious," he admits with a shrug. 

"I think it's incredible," I say earnestly. "I've never met someone who owns their own house by twenty five. Well, besides my aunt and uncle, but they got married and had two kids by twenty five." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I regret it. Way to talk about marriage and kids on a first date. "Seriously, that's impressive," I tell Bryan. 

"Thanks!" I can tell he's being serious. "So you're a writer, right?" 

I perk up a little at that. I had mentioned to him that I work in fashion and that my job is a lot of writing and editing, but it was just a quick statement. I'm surprised he remembered. 

"Yeah, I love fashion and art and working, so my job is pretty much perfect for me.l I smile. "It's a lot of work and definitely not as lucrative as engineering, but it's worth it for a job I enjoy most days." 

"That's awesome!" 

Bryan and I spend the next hour talking and sipping our drinks. He even lets me try his, which is delicious and surprisingly mellow. He's not quite as hilarious as Cam--something I can't help but think--but he's a nice guy and he seems humble and sweet. 

I find out he rode his motorcycle to our date and as soon as our drinks are finished, the mugs empty, I ask to see it. 

It's a beauty. I know nothing about motorcycles, but I can tell he takes care of it. The paint is fresh and shiny, and there's not a scratch anywhere. 

"Wow. Safe driver, huh?" 

Bryan smiles shyly. "I guess so." He puts his hands in his pocket and watches me quietly while I circle the bike, admiring it. 

"This is awesome," I declare. "I've always wanted to learn how to drive one of these."

"I bet you could," Bryan says. "A crotxh rocket like this, they're easy to drive. Harleys are heavier but steadier. The weight might be a bit much for you though." He clears his throat. "Sorry. Nerded out a little there."

"No, no, I like it!" I assure him, grinning. I step towards him. "I want to know all this. It's fascinating."

"Maybe I can give you a ride someday," he offers. I'm not sure if it's just politeness driving the statement, or if he wants to see me again.

"I had a great time tonight," I say. 

"Me too," Bryan agrees. "I'll walk you to your car?"

"I walked, actually." I turn down his offer to drive me home. "Maybe next time," I tell him. 

He doesnt try to kiss me--my lipstick trick worked!--but I do get a hug. I catch a whiff of pine, not like a car freshener but real, like trees on a crisp winter morning. For a moment, I want to bury my face closer to him. 

I step back though, and smile back up at him. "Thanks for the coffee, Bryan." 

After I see him drive away, I walk slowly back to my apartment. It's undeniable--I had a good time. Maybe sparks didn't fly and there wasn't any movie-quality chemistry, but that's not always necessary. We hadn't promised to call each other, and I'm not even sure if date two will happen. But even though my mind drifted to Cam every once on a while, it was a good distraction. 

And if I'm being honest, that distraction makes all the scariness and uncertainty of dating again worth it. I wouldn't mind seeing Bryan and his motorcycle again. 

Authors note: Thanks again for being so patient, everyone!! My vacation is over and I'm back to the real world, but it feels good to write again. How has everyone been? Have any of you been to any cool places this summer? I'd love to hear about it! Happy Saturday!! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post!! Glad you enjoyed your vacation.. We all need one every now and then!! I liked this post maybe Bryan is just shy but maybe he'll come around I would like to hear some more about him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She should give it time with Bryan. I have a good feeling about him. I never really liked Cam...

    ReplyDelete