Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Step in the Right Direction

            Friday at 3 PM I sit at my desk, frantically typing a last-minute report for my boss.   The whole office is more or less silent except for papers shuffling and tappings on keyboards.  It’s been a long week and none of us want to stay late, especially since it’s a gorgeous, sunny day outside, one of the first we’ve had. 

            I’ve rewritten this report for the fourth time now.  For some reason I just can’t get it to sound the way I want it to.  Ever since Wednesday night and that guy’s confrontation about my job, I’ve been a little on edge.  I know this job is exactly where I need to be right now, but I still feel a prickle of irritation at the back of my neck whenever I think about how he said he hoped to be more than a coffee-buying assistant by the time he was my age.  As if I’m unambitious!  I stab at the keys some more, frowning.  I know I’m capable and ambitious, and if I want to grab coffee or lunch for my office, damnit, that’s what I’ll do.  I take a deep breath; it’s not worth getting worked up over. 

            There’s one more thing about that night that’s on my mind, though—Emma.  As I’d suspected, there definitely had been sparks flying between her and DJ.  Em was low-key and dismissive about it, but I heard her come back into our apartment early the next morning.  Obviously she’s been trying to hide it from me, but who am I to judge?  I hid Cam from her for weeks.  If she needs space, I’ll give her space. 

            I decide that this draft will be the final draft, no matter what.  Once I’ve made up my mind, the report is done in less than half an hour.  Finally satisfied, I send it to my boss and get up to chat with Abby for a few minutes.

            She’s at her desk as usual, typing away.  A glance at her screen tells me that she’s exchanging messages with her fiancé, though, so I know it’s okay to come over and say hi.

            I lean against her desk.  “How’s it going?”

            Abby glances up at me and minimizes her window.  “Not bad.”  In a lower voice she adds, “the time is draaagging.” I nod emphatically. 

            I ask about her fiancé and everything seems peachy—they haven’t picked out a date yet because they’re “enjoying every moment together as an engaged couple.”  Wow.  They really sound blissful, and kind of like a magazine interview as well. 

            “Well I’m looking forward to seeing your dress,” I joke.  “You could wear a sack and look gorgeous, though.”

            Abby smiles.  “Thanks!  Not true, but thanks. So what are you up to tonight?  Crazy antics?”
           
            “Kind of,” I admit.  I don’t want to gossip about Marie’s situation, especially since it’s so fresh, but I am excited to go out tonight.  It’s been a loooong week and I’m ready for girl time.  “A few friends and I are going out to the bars, maybe even hit up a few clubs.” 

            “Oooh,” Abby says, laughing.  “God, I haven’t been to anything close to a club in forever.” 

            “Me neither,” I say.  “I’m not much of a dancer, but put a little cabernet in me and that might be remedied.  It should be fun no matter what!”

            “I already kind of feel like an old married couple,” Abby tells me.  “I haven’t gone out since the engagement.” 

            “That was only a month or so ago,” I point out.  “Like you said, you’re basking in the moment.”

            “I guess.”  Abby says that she has something to finish up quickly before 5, so I go back to my desk and check my emails as the minutes slowly melt away. 

            When it’s finally time to leave, I practically dash out of the office.  Well, as fast as I can dash in four-inch pumps.  By the time I get home I’m not sure if I’m ready for a nap or a drink. 

            Kolby and Marie are meeting at my apartment at 8, since I live in the Short North and that’s where we’re going out.  I tidy up the kitchen a little, but know my bedroom is unsalvageable.  I haven’t even picked out what I’m going to wear yet, and know that will only further destroy my room. 

            Because it was almost seventy degrees on my way home from the office—I was even sweating!—I choose a tight black dress that makes even my smallish chest look voluptuous.  It’s short and low-cut, but the sleeves reach my wrists, so it isn’t too much, I feel.  I decide to pair it with a pair of bright blue stilettos and some red lipstick. 

            Marie arrives early.  Barefooted, I rush to the door as I hear her knock and envelop her into a tight hug.  “Come in, come in!” I say. 

            Eying her over, I see she’s wearing jeans and a sweater.  A nice, flattering sweater, but a sweater nonetheless.  “Are you wearing that out?” I ask.

            “Yes,” Marie says, looking a bit defensive.  “What’s wrong with it?”

            “Nothing!” I say quickly.  “I just was going to wear a dress, so I didn’t… want to be too dressed up.”  I look down at my outfit, wondering how I can convince Marie to change. 

            Luckily I don’t have to.  Kolby barges in my apartment and the first thing she says is, “Marie, you are not wearing a sweater out tonight.”

            “Why not?”  Marie crosses her arms.  “I’m not trying to take any guys home.”

            “So?”  Kolby slinks over.  She’s wearing a gorgeous cream dress with a black leather jacket.  Like me, she looks ready to take on da club.  “You want to look the part, though.”

            “Let’s go through my closet and see if you like anything,” I say quickly.  I don’t want to offend Marie—this is her night, after all, and she’s been through hell these last few weeks. 

            Kolby touches up Marie’s makeup while I scour my closet for something for her to wear.  “I’m not wearing a skirt,” she says.  “It’s warm out, but not that warm yet!”

            “Fine,” I compromise.  “Are you wearing a nude bra?”

            “Black,” she says, and Kolby almost smears her eyeliner as I toss a shirt their way.  Marie picks it up and studies it. 

            “This is completely sheer.”

            I wave my hand dismissively.  “No it’s not.  It’ll be dark outside and in the bars anyway.  Just try it on.”  As Marie slips on the white lace top, I fluff up my hair.  I’m getting excited to go out!

            “What do you think?”  Marie is just about my size, but she’s very well-endowed in the chest area.  The shirt is slim-fitting, but even tighter around her breasts.  If I knew how to whistle, now would be the time to do it.

            “You look hot!” Kolby says approvingly.  “No sweaters tonight, ma’am.” 

            We each drink a few beers before heading out.  I realize after I finish my third that I haven’t had any dinner.  Late-night pizza is definitely happening at some point. 

            Finally, at around ten, we slip on our shoes and walk out the door, smelling like lipstick and floral perfume.  I double-check that my door is locked and we’re on our way. 

            The first bar we go to is packed, and I have a feeling that all of them will be that way.  It takes almost ten minutes to get a drink, and sitting down is not an option.  Marie already looks as if she’s regretting going out.  Kolby notices this just as I do and engages her in a story about work and how she accidently cursed on the air for the third time this week.  Thank goodness for Kolby.  She may be loud and sometimes abrasive, but she sure knows how to remedy any situation. 

            We finish our drinks and go to the next bar, a little dejected but still excited to be going out in the beautiful weather.  I see girls in skirts and dresses everywhere, and I’m glad that I wore heels. 

            The second bar is less crowded and has better music.  I breathe a sigh of relief and spot a table in the center of the room.  While Marie and Kolby get drinks, I get my phone out and text Cam. 

            “Pretty low-key so far,” I type.  “Hope you’re having a great night!”  As I’m sending the message, I sense a presence near me. 

            “Who you texting, baby?” a voice asks.  “I’m right here.”

            Part of me almost expects it to be Cam, but of course, it’s not.  It’s a guy in a button-down and shorts, leering over me, his hand on the back of my chair.  “Sorry,” I say, and turn away from him.  I like getting hit on as much as the next girl, but come on.  What a lame line. 

            He’s still there when Marie comes back with her drink.  She eyes him with confusion and when she sits down, he finally gets the message and leaves.  Marie hands me a drink. 

            “Thanks,” I say. “Where’s Kolby?”

            “Talking to the bartender,” Marie says, rolling her eyes.  The two of us start reminiscing, and I ask Marie about her job.  Slowly, she empties her drink while I’m only halfway done with mine.  I offer to get the next round and spot Kolby almost immediately. 

            The bartender is cute. I don’t blame her for staying and talking with him!  I nudge her gently and she glances at me, her eyes saying okay okay I’ll shut up soon.  I order two more drinks and go back to Marie. 

            To my delight, a guy is sitting at the table with her, and they’re talking!  Marie looks beautiful from here, her long hair shiny and perfectly straight. I don’t want to interrupt, so I sip my drink and look around. 
           
            “Double-fisting, huh?”  I turn around, and it’s not the weird guy from earlier but a very, very cute one with bright gray eyes. 

            “Oh, no, this one is for my friend,” I say. 

            He glances around.  “I don’t see anyone.”  I can feel myself blush a little. 

            “She’s sitting down.  I’m playing wingman,” I explain.  Woah.  Even I can tell that I’m not making that much sense. 

            “I’m Ben,” he says, flashing a grin. 

            “Ryan,” I say. 

            “What was that?”

            “Ryan.  My name is Ryan, like the boy’s name, but I’m a girl.”  When did my game get so bad?  This is embarrassing.  I decide to extract myself from the situation when I see that Marie is sitting alone again.  “Actually, my friend is right over there, so I should probably go hang out with her—” 

            Ben raises his hands up, palms towards me, in a do-your-thing gesture.  “Not trying to interfere with ladies night,” he tells me.  “It was nice meeting you, Ryan.  Maybe I’ll see you around.” 

            When I get to the table, I can see Marie’s eyes are shiny.  She’s on the verge of tears.  I can’t bear it, so I blurt out, “Let’s go to the club!”  Marie blinks, quietly, and nods. 

            “I don’t like the guys here anyway,” she tells me.  “The one who sat down was a creep.  He couldn’t keep his eyes off of my chest.”

            “Yeah, well, neither can I.”  That gets a laugh out of Marie, and we go find Kolby.

            As we leave the bar, the alcohol hits me all at once.  I feel giddy and excited, and grab Marie’s arm.  We skip to the club, which is only a few hundred feet away from the bar we’d just left.  There’s a line, but we get inside pretty quickly. 

            Within ten minutes, Kolby is in the middle of the dance floor, and Marie is off to the side, chatting with some cute guy with dark blond hair.  I smile—my work here is done.  Nothing like a li’l bit of trashy clubbing to get the ball rolling again. 

            Of course, that means I’m alone again.  I send Cam another quick text, and after that, head to the bar.  I lean against the bar with my drink for a few minutes, just watching.  I love how I can feel the music in my chest, as though it’s connected to my heartbeat.  Before I know it, I’ve finished another drink and decide I’m cut off for a while.  I go try to find Marie.

            She’s surprisingly on the dance floor, still with the blond guy!  And they’re dancing!  Together!  I try not to jump up and down and end up watching them for a few minutes.  She doesn’t look like it’s love at first sight, but at least this is a step in the right direction. 

            Someone shuffles past me, and I lose my balance a bit, almost running into someone.  Then I realize—it’s Cam’s best friend from college.  We look at each other in confusion for a second before saying anything, but in those moments, I realize he’s not alone. 


            Cam is there too, a drink in one hand, his face turned towards some girl who’s talking into his ear.  

5 comments:

  1. I like the story.. I can't wait to see what happens next..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh no! I was rooting for Cam. I hope it turns out to just be a friendly conversation. Why wouldn't he tell Ryan he was going to the club if he knew she would be there too!

    Loving the story, glad you're posting more!

    www.tragedytwentysomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to overreact, I AM NOT GOING TO OVERREACT. I love Cam. mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are not really together though. Although it would still hurt, because they are trying to figure things out. It still stings just the same seeing your guy with another chick.

    ReplyDelete